Book of Documents (Civil)
From Riverview Group Library Services
R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194: RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE
4.02 (1) Every document in a proceeding shall have a heading in accordance with Form 4A (actions) or 4B (applications) that sets out,
- (a) the name of the court and the court file number; and
- (b) the title of the proceeding in accordance with rule 14.06 (action or application), but in a document other than an originating process, pleading, record, order or report, where there are more than two parties to the proceeding, a short title showing the names of the first party on each side followed by the words “and others” may be used. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 4.02 (1); O. Reg. 131/04, s. 3.
- (1.1) Clause (1) (b) does not apply to documents in a proceeding under Rule 74, 74.1 or 75. O. Reg. 484/94, s. 3; O. Reg. 111/21, s. 1.
Body of Document
- (2) Every document in a proceeding shall contain,
- (a) the title of the document;
- (b) its date;
- (c) where the document is filed by a party and not issued by a registrar or is an originating process, the name, address and telephone number of the lawyer filing the document or, where a party acts in person, his or her name, address for service and telephone number; and
- (d) where the document is issued by a registrar, the address of the court office in which the proceeding was commenced or, in the case of an application to the Divisional Court, the address of the court office in the place where the application is to be heard. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 4.02 (2); O. Reg. 575/07, s. 1.
- (3) Every document in a proceeding shall have a backsheet in accordance with Form 4C that sets out,
- (a) the short title of the proceeding;
- (b) the name of the court and the court file number;
- (c) in the case of an affidavit, the deponent’s name and the date when he or she swore it;
- (d) the location of the court office in which the proceeding was commenced;
- (e) the title of the document;
- (f) if a lawyer is serving or filing the document, the lawyer’s name, address, telephone number, e-mail address and law society membership number;
- (g) if a party is acting in person, his or her name, address for service, telephone number and e-mail address (if any); and
- (h) if the document is to be served, the e-mail address, if known, of the person on whom the document is to be served. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194, r. 4.02 (3); O. Reg. 333/96, s. 1 (1); O. Reg. 457/01, s. 1; O. Reg. 575/07, s. 1; O. Reg. 281/16, s. 1; O. Reg. 689/20, s. 4.
- R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 194: RULES OF CIVIL PROCEDURE, <https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900194>, reterived 2021-04-06